We have snow in the Kane Valley! It might not be good for skiing yet – but winter is here and we should have groomed trails sometime in the coming weeks. Keep checking this website.
The Nicola Nordic Ski Club AGM was on Tuesday November 21st 2017. Some important announcements and decisions:
- We have a brand-new snowmobile and will soon have a new smaller (4ft) groomer/tenderizer. This was funded by the Thompson Nicola Regional District courtesy of local directors Herb Graham and Randy Murray. Thank you Randy, Herb and the TNRD!
- We have two new grooming contractors who will be trained and working this winter.
- With two grooming machines and two contractors we should be able to groom the trails more efficiently and the new machine will handle some of the steeper and narrower trails much better.
- Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resources Operations (FLNRO) Recreation Sites and Trails have given us new signage to mark our ski trails and also identify the unofficial snowshoe trails in Kane Valley. Thank you Tim Bennett and FLNRO!
- We have a second dog trail now available – skiers with dogs are now allowed on the Aspen trail between P6 and P5. This is a trial arrangement for the coming season. If you ski here with a dog please do not go on to any of the adjacent trails (Kane and Sundown). Matthews Loop remains open to skiers with dogs.
- Membership fees have gone up for the first time in many years – now $50 Single, $90 Family and $10 for day-use. Go to our membership page for a membership form.
- Directors elected for 2017-2018: John Anderson, Kate Anderson, David Brown, Linda Brown, Alan Burger, Shelley Cressy-Hassel, Travis Fehr, Dorothy Molnar and Mischelle Pierce.
- We have a new membership drop-off location: Breathe Bikes at 1960 Quilchena Avenue. Owner Travis Fehr is our new membership coordinator. Merritt and area residents can now drop off membership forms with payments and pick up membership tags. Tags will still be mailed to out-of-town members.
Our ski club is in great shape and we are looking forward to a great season of skiing in the Kane Valley so join the club and get out on the trails.
We are always looking for members to help run the club. If you are interested in helping out please contact one of the current directors or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org